Who to call for an emergency dentist?

When the worst happens.. who do you call?

Dental emergencies can happen at any time, and most often you will not be prepared. Often it could be a cracked tooth or a tooth that is slightly sensitive that suddenly becomes extremely painful. If this happens there are a few things you can do, and a few things you should not do.

Primarily, if the emergency occurs during surgery opening times, then you should call your dentist. Often surgeries will have spaces for emergencies every day so you should see whether they will be able to fit you in. However, if your surgery is closed you should call 111. This is the NHS emergency contact number, and they will be able to advise where to get treatment.

If you are not registered with a dentist, you should also ring NHS 111 and they will help you find a service. Do not contact a GP as they will be unable to assist you with an emergency appointment. 

Whilst waiting for the emergency appointment take painkillers or ask NHS 111 for some advice on how to reduce the pain. They will be able to provide advice.
You should only go to the hospital in extreme situations such as increasing swelling in your mouth, heavy bleeding or injuries to the face or mouth. Severe bleeding is also a reason to head to the emergency room. If you are unsure whether to go to A&E, then you can ask NHS 111 and they will assess the situation on the phone before giving a recommendation. 

The best way to prepare for a last-minute problem is to register with a dentist, as this will ensure you get seen in an environment you are comfortable in.

Book an appointment


Related Articles